41/33S 7/21E, 7031 nm on the gps log, making 10 knots SE. After the strong winds of the last few days, sandwiched between a high and low to create a good gradient, we finally slipped out of the funnel and were faced with lighter winds to the east. Our mid-pack group, several of whom had been slipping away, are far enough downstream that they’ll get a windshift while they’re still in the wind. So I decided to gybe south toward the stronger breezes, likely for a day, then to gybe back for the next ice gate, hopefully in stronger wind. Always risky leaving the apparently tried and true, but it has looked as though if we can get across a light patch, we should have some more wind to work with. 

Worked down the job list, re-seal a stanchion that was leaking, go into the keel compartment to lubricate the sheaves on the off side, as they will be loaded after the gybe. Then after the gybe went back in to lubricate the newly off sheaves. There have been some big groans coming from in there and hopefully this will help. Bailed a half bucket from forward and from the sail compartment, still trying to understand where the leak forward is coming from, perhaps the ballast tank vent, just can’t tell. 

It’s gray, misty rainy, gray, but it’s nevertheless always a wonder to see the albatross fly. They have forgotten more about flying than fighter pilots ever knew. One grandpa albatross came by, enormous, 10′ or 11′ wingspan, huge body, and never, ever, flapping his wings, just gliding, gliding, gliding…amazing. 

Got several naps last night, but still feel very tired. Think the toll of the stress of the high speeds the last few days has added in, and also I think that the healing of my rib just needs more sleep.  Likely ashore, the prescription would be two weeks of bedrest, not, go sail the Vendee Globe! Anyway, it feels better for sure, but it’s just very sore. 

Went from solent and two reefs, to reacher and full main today, so a good thousand grinds on the pedestal, and that hurts, but its better than grinding a winch!